Q: Service ESC

Would a faulty electronic spark control module cause low compression on one cylinder?

A: The Electronic Spark Control module control...

The Electronic Spark Control module controls the ignition timing keeping the ignition cycle smooth as the various demands of the engine change depending on driving conditions. The compression in a given cylinder is created by tight clearances in the cylinder walls which are maintained by the piston rings keeping a tight fit as the piston slides up and down inside the cylinder. When piston rings begin to collapse or fail, the compression will be compromised. Cylinder head gaskets also play a critical role in maintaining proper compression. When cylinder head gaskets fail, this also creates a leak in the combustion chamber causing a drop in compression. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your low compression problem.