Q: Service Engine Soon light driving problems

I was driving and the service engine soon light came on. About 30 seconds later, the car started decelerating until it stopped driving all together. When I pushed on the gas, it did not move (but car was still on). I have half tank of gas. I turned off the car for about 2 minutes and turned it back on. Then it drove as usual (I had to go back to work but I avoided highways) but the service engine soon light remained on.

Any one, or more, out of a list of thousands of Diagnostic Trouble Codes could have caused your vehicle’s Check Engine Light to illuminate. Even given your very well stated description of what occurred, no "one" of these many codes is any more likely than the others. Consequently, your best option is to request a check engine light diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve the specific diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that have caused the check engine light to illuminate. Using those codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are tested to pinpoint the cause of the fault or the reason why the check engine light has illuminated. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.