Q: Service Engine Soon and ABS light on. Won't pass smog check.

The Service Engine Soon light is on, as well as the ABS light. The speedometer does not work. My car will not pass a smog check because of these problems. The speed sensors were just replaced, but I still get Code P0500, vehicle speed sensor A.

The problem may be the reluctor wheel. This is what the sensor reads as the wheel turns. If one of the teeth on the wheel are damaged or missing, the sensor will not be able to determine speed. The problem could also be wiring. The ABS system on your vehicle is very complex and should only be serviced by qualified technicians. YourMechanic can help you find and book one to diagnose and repair the issue.