Q: Service engine light only in warm weather

My service engine light has been on over a year. The code is for emissions. My mechanic has changed some parts but still.. it stays on. I live in North Carolina. Both last year and this Christmas I went to New Hampshire for the holidays. The light stays on here in North Carolina most of the year. But as soon as I am in 20 degrees or less the light goes off and stays off. For 2 weeks in the cold.. no problem.. as soon as I drove south again it came on again.. on the very rare occasion that it is low 20's or less in North Carolina, it stays off also

Hello. Typically the service light is a vague warning and can indicate something as simple as too many miles between oil changes to potentially serious faults in the engine. The problem could be totally benign or very serious, and a professional inspection is the best course of action if the light is persistently illuminated. It’s not uncommon for extreme cold to disable some error codes, however if it comes back as you’ve described, it is possible that the catalytic converter may be the source of the error code. The best way to determine this is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a service light is on inspection.

3. Service engine light only in warm weather