Q: Service Engine light code P0011

asked by on September 20, 2016

AutoZone gave me a printout and one of the codes was for P0011 Intake valve timing (IVT) control circuit failure but this was not listed in the option for services offered by Your Mechanic. What type of service should I request to address this issue? What is the price for parts and labor related to service for this issue?

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote
Timing Belt Replacement $295.56 - $1284.62 Get a Quote
Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. I will help you with this issue. There are more than 5,000 Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) that a modern OBD-II vehicle such as yours could report. Any and all initial diagnostic work following up ANY of those codes is subsumed in one Diagnostic fee. That is typical in automotive servicing because it avoids the need to calculate separate fees for literally thousands upon thousands of different codes, not to mention the additional vehicle specific codes that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The Diagnostic fee varies from $60-$90 depending on the city you live in and covers the inspection and diagnostic time as well as the mechanic’s cost of traveling to your site.

With regard to the P0011 Code, there are a few simple possibilities, like the wrong viscosity oil or dirty oil, as well as electrical vaults in the control circuit but there are also a few more complicated possibilities like a failed control valve or a skipped timing belt (or chain, depending on the engine).

You mentioned that additional codes had set. Such could be critical in the diagnosis or might mean that there are additional faults that have to be repaired affecting other engine systems. As always please keep in mind that DTC’s merely provide diagnostic clues. The codes typically do NOT indicate which, if any, parts need to be replaced and sometimes the fault is even found in systems that are somewhat remote from what the code is indicating. If you elect to schedule a diagnostic with YourMechanic, a certified technician can thoroughly investigate the codes to ensure accurate diagnosis and correct repairs.