Q: Bought a MR2 roadster that has the Sequential Manual Transmission (bought it as a non driver) Toyota MR2

asked by on March 06, 2017

I bought the car with the gearbox issue , car runs but wont go into gear, checked the smt fluid bottle is ok at right level , the red light is on when I start the car but it wont move , will select gears but wont move, thought the brake switch might be gone but thinking either the neutral switch or the transmission ecu.

Hi there - the first task is to get stored problem codes - which may require a Toyota-specific code reader to get the level of diagnostic needed. Sequential Manual Transmissions are very sophisticated, computer-managed units, and very dependent on the sensors necessary to control the clutch, gear engagement and actual operation. Your problem may very well require a Toyota dealer or service center with the specific test gear and software updating capabilities required to service this unit. Unfortunately, YourMechanic does not offer this service at this time. Thanks for thinking of us though!