Q: Power steering service now

asked by on October 15, 2017

Service power steering came on across my dash and now my power steering is out what does it mean and what should I do
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

This is a known issue with this generation of Ford Fusion vehicles. As you may know your vehicle is equipped with electronic power steering which is very different from the traditional hydraulic power steering systems we have known for decades. To provide steering assistance, an electric motor mounted to the side of the rack housing drives a ball-screw mechanism via a toothed rubber belt. The screw engages a spiral cut in the outside of the steering rack. A torque sensor attached to the pinion shaft signals a control computer when to provide assistance. There are a number of things that can fail with the electronics involved in this kind of a system. When this fails, you will often see the EPS light illuminated in your dash indicating that the power steering system has a problem. This may also cause the steering to be tough to control or steer. This is something that should be looked at immediately by a qualified mechanic as it may be dangerous if the steering does not function properly. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your power steering system.