Q: Pickup is running rough, jerking, stalling, and not idling over 3000 rpms

I have been having this problem for about 6 months and just did not have the money to have it looked into it all started after running out of gas one night I had fell asleep in the pickup with it running and I somewhere during the night it ran out of gas the next day it wouldn't idle over 3000 RPMs but wasn't cutting out real bad it just wouldn't accelerate quickly overtime and got worse begin stalling out and eventually was to the point where I couldn't drive it I change the fuel pump no improvement I read online that if I drilled one small hole in each catalytic converter that might help which i did and it helped very little but some.so now pickup wont rev up over 3000 rpm, cuts out really bad and then dies after a minute or so.SES light is on and autozone hooked obd reader up to it said it was not related to the problem i changed fuel pump, no change. Do you think it might be the idbm? im thinking about cleaning the MAF and resetting the ECU what would you suggest?

Hey there. This sounds like an air/fuel delivery problem which may be a result of a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. This may also be a result of a failing O2 sensor which may also cause an incorrect adjustment to the air/fuel ratio causing the cutting out and over or under fueling the motor. This can also happen when the mass air flow sensor is not properly reading the air flow which causes an incorrect fuel adjustment to be made resulting in the same type of symptom. I would suggest having an expert, like one YourMechanic, come to your location to inspect the rough running issue and determine what may be causing this.

3. Pickup is running rough, jerking, stalling, and not idling over 3000 rpms