Q: Belts squealing

asked by on February 12, 2016

I need my engine timed as the smog station said it was 10 degrees off. My belts squeal when it is cold or the car sits for a while. The belts look good and I have been told it could be the tensioners.

Adjust Ignition Timing $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. There is a specific procedure for setting the ignition timing. Once you are ready to check the timing, it is very simple to adjust it to specification. This should be done if it is 10 degrees off. Engine performance will suffer. You have 3 belts on you car. All 3 have manual tensioners. If you have a noise, it would be best to remove all 3, inspect all the pulleys and belts, replace as needed. If your belts are more than 5 years old, they can become hard and brittle and should be replaced. I recommend you have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, adjust the timing on your vehicle and if need so, replace any badly worn pulleys and belts.