Q: Repeated dead batteries - 1990 Honda Accord

Have replaced battery in my 1990 Honda Accord 5 times in 18 months. Every few weeks it goes dead, like this morning. Was told that the alternator isn't the problem. Mechanic said a scan showed my radio antenna was incorrectly wired and he disconnected it entirely. New battery after that has lasted 4 months. Note: although my radio antenna is apparently disconnected, my radio works just like before, no static or fading in and out. Wondering if it's really disconnected? I do NOT drive a lot, I know that's an issue, but any car with a new battery should be able to sit in a garage for a week or 10 days at the most and not go dead. Please help!

This sounds like you may have a slow battery drain pulling power from somewhere in the car. Start by checking to be sure all interior lights, etc. are off when shutting the doors. Check to make sure things like the stereo are not powered on when the key is off.

This may also be something caused by a bad or failing voltage regulator. This is a unit that regulates the charging amperage of the battery by the alternator. When this is not working properly, it can cause the battery to not be charged sufficiently, resulting in a dead battery much more frequently.

I would recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to inspect your charging system and suggest any necessary repairs.

3. Repeated dead batteries - 1990 Honda Accord