Q: Serpintine belt broke, there's fluid everywhere, and steering is very difficult now.

I was driving and my serpentine belt broke. I lost power steering as I was pulling off the highway. There's also fluid everywhere.

Once the drive belt broke, the water pump and power steering pump (and all other accessories) stopped turning. If the engine got too hot due to the water pump not turning, coolant could have escaped, thus explaining the fluid (if it is coolant). It’s possible you just need a new serpentine belt but the car has to be checked for seized components driven by the serpentine belt in case that accounts for the belt having broken in the first place. You can obtain a new serpentine belt by requesting serpentine belt replacement. Of course, until you obtain a new belt, be sure not to drive the car because with no serpentine belt driving the water pump, the car will overheat for sure and that can easily warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. Please note that the engine cooling thermostat can be damaged during an episode of overheating. You should consider replacing the thermostat to avoid further problems. If you request serpentine belt replacement a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get the belt issue, and any related problems, resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Once you clean off all the fluid and have put on a new belt make sure belt is turning and fill the power steering pump with fluid and let idle and move steering a quarter turn back and forth several times and then turn off and let fluid air escape for about ten minutes and repeat process util all air gets out of system. You should notice the steering get better. If it still is hard to steer then you may need a new pump.

3. Serpintine belt broke, there's fluid everywhere, and steering is very difficult now.