Q: The car has reduced engine power

asked by on July 25, 2016

I bought this previously owned vehicle with a mileage of 160,000 miles. It has a manual transmission. The dashboard showed the check engine light on and reduced engine power warning. The check engine light indicated a bad throttle body sensor so I had it replaced. The engine is very sluggish still. When I shift into first, the car starts sputtering. I have difficulty increasing speed. Is the engine going out on this car? What should I do?

Hello there. There are many potential causes for reduced power output. The most likely would be the fuel pump, low fuel pressure, battery, alternator, or fuel filter. A bad throttle sensor can cause this issue but the throttle body itself can also cause the same issue. Your best bet would be to have the issue checked by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, in order to diagnose your vehicle’s loss of power.