Q: The car has reduced engine power

I bought this previously owned vehicle with a mileage of 160,000 miles. It has a manual transmission. The dashboard showed the check engine light on and reduced engine power warning. The check engine light indicated a bad throttle body sensor so I had it replaced. The engine is very sluggish still. When I shift into first, the car starts sputtering. I have difficulty increasing speed. Is the engine going out on this car? What should I do?

A: Hello there. There are many potential cause...

Hello there. There are many potential causes for reduced power output. The most likely would be the fuel pump, low fuel pressure, battery, alternator, or fuel filter. A bad throttle sensor can cause this issue but the throttle body itself can also cause the same issue. Your best bet would be to have the issue checked by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, in order to diagnose your vehicle’s loss of power.