Q: Front end makes a grinding noise when I turn. Is that something to do with the rack and pinion steering?

asked by on December 27, 2016

I'm getting a grinding noise from the front end when I'm turning to the left. The faster and sharper the turn, the louder the noise. If I do a slow gradual turn the noise is almost not noticeable It's happening, it sounds like, from the right front end. I do not hear it when going over small bumps and railroad tracks, so I do not think ( I am guessing) it's from the suspension. Plus it is not very noticeable when I turn to the right

Hi there. The noise sounds like the wheel hub bearings are grinding as you are turning. Lift up the vehicle and put all the wheels off the ground and spin the front wheels. Listen and feel the wheels for any weird sounds and grinding feeling. If there is a feeling and grinding sound, then the hub bearings will need replaced. If the front wheels do not have the sound, then either the CV shaft has a bad ball bearing and needs replaced or the transmission has a grinding gear within the transmission. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose the grinding noise that your are getting on the front of the vehicle.