Q: Serpentine belt came off of 2004 Lexus IS 300

I started my car and my serpentine belt came off. When this happened my car discharged my battery to prevent any further damage. I'm not too sure if the timing belt or the water pump needs replacing, or if I just need to replace the serpentine belt.

A: Hi. The timing has a service life of 90,000...

Hi. The timing has a service life of 90,000 miles. Depending on the vehicle's mileage and the last time the timing belt was changed, it will determine when you need to have it replaced. The water pump itself has no specified service life, as long as it is circulating coolant properly and the cooling system is operating correctly, then it does not need to be changed. However, since these items have a tendency to be changed at the same time, it is recommended that a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, replace the water pump and replace the serpentine belt to lower the labor costs.