Q: Seized engine, no oil leaks

The engine seized up in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata the other day when I was driving home from work. The engine as well as the chassis have 75,000 miles on them but I did not expect to have such a major problem. I guess oil had leaked out (never saw any puddles or spots under the car!) and left the engine dry, causing the car to stall and the engine to totally seize up. Very disappointed, do I have any other options other than replacing the whole engine?

Did your oil leak out from somewhere? Did your drain plug fall out? Did your engine have a major engine failure? I suspect the drain plug fell out on your engine. There have been incidents of the oil pan getting cracked around the drain plug hole causing an oil leak. This would be a slower leak. If drain plug was not tightened up and vibrated until it fell out, there would have been a large sudden leak with all oil being lost and causing the engine to seize pretty fast. Did you just have a recent oil change? I have seen owners that have had their oil changed and lost all oil in a short time because of the oil plug falling out from not being tightened properly. I would suggest you have YourMechanic do a thorough diagnosis of why you lost all your oil. This should give you some insight why oil was lost.