Q: Why does my security light blink rapidly when I try starting my 2004 Ford Explorer

i drove the car in the morning and the shifter broke, after i reconnect it the security light began to blink repeatedly when the key is in the on position. it reads out a 1:5 code on the led light. if I get the keys reprogramed will the car start or could there be other issues I need to be looking at?

Hello. If the theft light is blinking when you try starting your vehicle, and it does not start then typically it is a programming issue. It is possible that what occurred with the shifter may have caused a voltage loss. Before anything else I would usually load test the battery. If the battery is low then this can occur. If the battery is fine then the right scan tool needs to be installed to see if the keys are registering. Most of the time the keys will just need to be reprogrammed to the system. It may also be a receiver issue, but that is not as common. If you want to have this starting system checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the theft light is on] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection

• Why does my security light blink rapidly when I try starting my 2004 Ford Explorer