Speedometer off honda 2004 civic l4-1.7l speedometers

Q: Speedometer off

asked by on February 20, 2016

My speedometer is reading around 30 MPH above what it is actually going. At rest, it sits at about 29 MPH, but it continues to move as normal as if it was at zero.

Hi. The cluster will most likely need to be replaced as they can not be re-calibrated. To test the cluster, a certified technician would be able to hook up a computer to the car to read out what the various sensors are reporting. The vehicle has a VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) which tells the computer and speedometer what to display. If the computer readout for the VSS is showing the correct speed, then the cluster will need to be looked at more thoroughly to ensure proper operation. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the speedometer and suggest an appropriate repair.