Q: Scirocco engine coolant light comes on in cold temperatures

asked by on November 18, 2016

My engine coolant light comes on in cold temperatures (4 degrees Celsius and below), when I go to work in the morning having not used my car for 12 hours, I start it up and the light flashes, I turn off the engine and restart the car again, and the light is no longer there. This only seems to happen in cold temperatures, the engine temperature is fine and never over heats, the oil temperatures are fine as well.

The only thing I have noticed that is different is that my fuel consumption seems to be slightly worse.

Do you have any ideas as to what could be wrong with it?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

Sometimes this issues is caused by a faulty or loose electrical harness to the radiator temperature sensor on the VW. It will send a faulty error code and cause the symptoms you’re experiencing. However, it could be a problem with the sensor itself that needs to be replaced. The fuel economy issue shouldn’t be related; however, it’s common for fuel economy to reduce in winter or late fall, as that’s when they swap out fuels from summer to winter blends. Winter blends are not as refined as summer; which can cause increased consumption. The best way to know for certain is to have a mobile mechanic complete a check engine light inspection so they can determine if there is a real issue you need to resolve.