Q: I've got a stock 350 with an edelbrock 1406 carb I just put on that I bought used. It has a dead spot in the accelerator so I chan

I've got a stock 350 with an edelbrock 1406 carb I just put on that I bought used. It has a dead spot in the accelerator so I changed out the pump and problem is still there. If I advance the distributor it takes care of it but then it diesels. If I back out the idle screw will that eliminate the dieseling or could there b something else I can do to get rid of the hesitation

A: From what you describe it would appear th...

Hello.

From what you describe it would appear that the carburetor may need to be tuned or adjusted. Every engine runs differently, so in most cases, when a new or different carburetor is installed on an engine it will need to be tuned and adjusted for that engine. If it is installed without adjusting it, the vehicle may run, however it may experience performance, idle, or even fuel economy issues. I would try to locate the instructions for adjusting your carburetor, and adjust it to your engine. If the manual is not at hand, they can likely be found online, at the manufacturer’s website. If you end up needing assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location and diagnose the hesitation condition firsthand.