Q: RPMs jumps at idle, & sometimes stalls when gas applied after a stop at alight or sign and won't restart for a minute or so

At stops idle sometimes jumps to1600/1700 apply gas to continue thru it stalls and won't re-start for a minute or so.diagnostic shows no problems w/ dist.,ecm,or pump. have changed filter. dirty tank? heat & cold don't seem to be an issue.

A: Hello. A stalling issue like this may take ...

Hello. A stalling issue like this may take some time to figure out. If you suspect your fuel tank is dirty, you may want to drop it and inspect it. However, these symptoms are more likely to be related to the throttle or air intake systems. If the throttle position sensor has failed, the computer will not know how to regulated other engine functions. The throttle body and linkage could also be damaged or contaminated. You will want to check the airflow sensors with a multimeter and make sure they are testing within specifications. A vacuum leak can also cause these issues and should be taken into consideration. When diagnosing an issue like this on an older vehicle, it tends to be a process of elimination. Start with the simplest tests and work your way down the list of possibilities from there.