Q: Replaced clutch master and slave cylinder, but my car still won't go into gear while running

I have a 5-Speed 03 Passat. I got it with the clutch sinking to the floor with no resistance, which to my knowledge was a master cylinder or slave cylinder failure. I replaced both although it turned out only the slave had failed. I have since repeatedly bleed the slave cylinder, the clutch is now stiff and has resistance as usual. However when It is running with the clutch depressed it will still not go into gear (can be forced into reverse though). Why will it not go into gear, and how can this be fixed (at home)?

Thank you for any help!

A: If the hydraulics are working correctly, th...

If the hydraulics are working correctly, there are a couple of things that could be wrong with the clutch that would prevent it from releasing. Unfortunately, any of them will require removal of the transmission for repair.

At 191,000 miles, it could be that your pressure plate has failed and is not fully releasing, or it could be that the disk is severely worn and there is an accumulation of debris between the disk and the plate which would also keep it from releasing. Either of these would be corrected with a clutch replacement.

If you contact YourMechanic, they can send a technician to your home to evaluate your problem and help you figure out what to do next in order to avoid any unnecessary repairs.