Q: Rear right tire intermittently locks up in reverse, today locked up completely while driving. 2004 Chevrolet Aveo

Intermittently the rear passenger wheel locks up in reverse, today while driving about 45 mph the wheel locked up completely causing me to spin out, Ive attmepted numerous times to get the drum off but cannot get it to budge so my last resort is a shop. Im trying to figure out what might be the issue so I can go to a shop and tell them exactly what to look at without them just finding things to do on my car.

Hi - your Aveo has drum brakes in the rear, and reversing initiates the brake shoe adjustment mechanism, allowing the brakes to ratchet out towards the brake drum to compensate for wear. The lockup in both directions sounds like the adjuster mechanism is malfunctioning, or the brake shoe has become contaminated with brake fluid or oil of some sort. I recommend a brake shoe replacement service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Rear right tire intermittently locks up in reverse, today locked up completely while driving. 2004 Chevrolet Aveo