Q: Back wheels lock up when put into drive

When I put my car into drive, the back wheels make a noise and lock up.

A: This symptom is common on vehicles with a d...

This symptom is common on vehicles with a drum style mechanical parking brake assembly behind the disc brake rotor. Worn components can cause the assembly mounting to become loose allowing for extra movement. This extra movement usually binds the assembly and attempts to lock the wheels from spinning. Have an experienced automotive technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your brake system and possibly check the rear differential if no failure is found in the brakes.