Q: Rear passenger wheel making crunching sound

asked by on February 05, 2017

While driving at 40mph heard a clunk, like I ran over something (but did not). Checked to see if I had a blowout. Tire looked fine. Continued another 100 yards and could hear scrapping sound. At stop sign, shifted into first (its a manual), and experienced loud metal to metal crunching sound when I moved forward. Reversed about 5 feet, didn't hear anything. Engaged first gear and rolled forward to again hear metal to metal crunching. Turned car off. At idle, or when car is off, can shift thru gears with no noticeable noises.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Possible causes of such noise are wheel bearings, a stuck brake caliper or seized sliding pins on the caliper torque plate, brake dust plate interference, loose caliper or torque plate, suspension interference with the body, and trapped foreign material in and around rotating components of the axle. In difficult cases, remote wireless microphones, known as chassis ears, can be used to determine if the noise is coming from the left or the right. If you want the origin of the noise pinpointed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a chassis noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.