Q: Keyless Entry Security system problem

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander that has a keyless entry system. Today I decided to check my oil and tire pressure. When I was done checking the oil, I shut the hood and got into the car to start it but nothing happened at first. Then the alarm starting going off along with a weird clicking noise. I turned the alarm off but the clicking noise continues. I read through the keyless entry security manual and tried just about everything I could but the car still will not start and the clicking noise continues. Please Help!

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is likely related to the anti-theft system in the car going into safe mode. This can be caused for a variety of reasons such as dead or weak battery or a short in the theft system. I would recommend taking the car to the Toyota Dealer to have the computer reset as this will usually correct the system’s misdiagnosed theft of the vehicle. While doing this, I would also recommend showing them the batteries (both the car and key fob) to be sure this is not the problem.