Q: Rear differential maks sound is it too late to change oil ?

My differentisl starts to make a sound when i go over 60 and the sound raising with the speed. i already cheked the oil level, and it was not full to the Side plug but there is oil in it. Is it too late to change only the oil at this point ? Sould i just add more oil or change it ? What type of oil it need for very hot weather ?

If you have a standard differential, 75W-90 gear oil that meets BMW requirements is required. If you have a limited slip differential you have to use 75W-140. Both of these multi-viscosity oils are fine for high operating temperatures. It is OK to change the oil now. As far as the noise, other sources can mimic differential noise, such as tire defects, worn wheel bearings, and so forth. Accordingly, unless you are absolutely sure that the noise originates at the differential, or have already obtained a definitive diagnostic, you can request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the origin. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Rear differential maks sound is it too late to change oil ?