Q: RAV4 is so slow to accelerate, one-off jerk when selecting gear

2 issues. The jeep sometimes is so slow to accelerate. Other cars outrun it when moving from a state of rest, though it accelerates very well over time . Start off pressure is weak. I have changed the fuel pump & air flow sensor. Second issue is at speeds above 30km/h a jerking is experienced around the driver side when gear is selected automatically. Just a one-off jerk.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I would suggest checking the throttle position sensor as this is often times the problem with jerking and hesitation. The throttle position sensor monitors the position of your foot on the gas pedal and relays this info to the car’s computer telling when to direct the fuel injection system to supply more or less fuel. When this is not working properly, this will cause the jerking that you describe.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this car hesitation for you, and make any repairs (such as replacing the throttle position sensor) for you as needed.

3. RAV4 is so slow to accelerate, one-off jerk when selecting gear