Q: Rattling at idle, stalling in reverse - 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans

asked by on September 16, 2016

When my car is idling, I'm able to hear loud clicking and rattling noises. In addition to that, when I put the car in reverse, it stalls out. What could be causing these problems? Is the transmission going out?

Hello there, thanks for your question. In many cases, clicking and rattling noises, though they sound bad, are relatively minor with your 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans. The most common causes for this would be due to the alternator, power steering pump, belt tensioner, belt idler, AC clutch, or the flywheel. Many more common items would be checked before the transmission was condemned as the cause. If you’d like help, consider having a certified technician such as one from YourMechanic will inspect your rattle noise and diagnose the vehicle.