Q: Rattling at high RPMs in all gears during acceleration on a 2009 Honda Fit

My 2009 Honda Fit with 41,000 miles makes a rattling sound between 1700 and 2000 RPM. This happens in all gears when I accelerate. Any ideas what it might be?

A lot of times, the catalytic converter starts to break down. Inside them, there is a ceramic stuff and there is little, almost beehive-like, metal partitions that are platinum. A lot of times the metal and the ceramic breaks and they rattle. So you might just check in there and see if your catalytic converter is rattling. Realize that catalytic converters typically have long, extended periods (~100,000 miles) of federal warranty. So with only 41,000 miles Honda, they would have to give you a new one free. If you are for whatever reason not eligible for the warranty, YourMechanic certified technicians will be able to replace your catalytic converter for you if needed.

• Rattling at high RPMs in all gears during acceleration on a 2009 Honda Fit