Q: Radiator leaks

I added water to the radiator, and it leaks from under the motor.

Hello there! Leaking coolant/water from a point near the motor can come from a few things:

On your vehicle specifically, a coolant hose runs underneath the distributor and the distributor seal often leaks. This causes used engine oil to come into contact with the rubber coolant hose, causing it to swell. The swelling weakens the hose and after some period of time, the hose can burst under pressure. In this case, it’s often recommended to replace the hose, distributor seal and valve cover gasket at one time to prevent further concerns.

Then there’s the water pump, which is driven by the timing belt. Please note that servicing the water pump involves disassembling the timing belt drive system; all components coming off of the vehicle during this process should be replaced with new ones to avoid mechanical failure.

Before doing either of these things, I would suggest having a trained technician, like the ones here at YourMechanic, conduct a cooling system pressure test. This will allow the mechanic to pinpoint the leak and offer a solution.

3. Radiator leaks