Q: Failed emissions after P0505 code... Considering options

asked by on July 20, 2016

Hi, my 4Runner failed emissions with a P0505 code. After taking it to the mechanic, he just called to say that from what they could figure out, there's a problem with the throttle body. He recommended cleaning out the throttle body, and if that doesn't work, replacing the throttle body ($1300). Is there a cheaper option than replacing the entire throttle body? Please help, as the car runs okay... Only problem is simply passing an emissions test.

Clean Throttle Body $93.59 - $291.31 Get a Quote
Throttle Body Replacement $226.78 - $1710.92 Get a Quote
Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The mechanic that checked your vehicle is giving you a possible fix by cleaning the throttle body of built up carbon. This may help with the idle and P0505 code, and for passing the emissions test. The throttle body is controlled by an electrical motor as part of the throttle body. If cleaning does not clear the problem, then the throttle body may need to be replaced. I recommend having a certified technician give your car a second opinion after diagnosing your Check Engine Light code.