Q: Radiator fan asembly/motor

About 2 weeks ago my engine failed to cool an overheated. Upon inspection I became aware at that my fan was not turning on. My AC would also quit working at a stop. I checked all of the fuses and relays. After cleaning the connectors it worked for another 2 weeks. Now it is stopped working again. I went to the auto parts store and they let me use a new relay in the three plugs and it still did not work. I checked with a 12 volt there is no powerr going to the fans. My question now is where do I go from here? How do both Motors go bad at the same time? I can freely spin the van that I can reach it will spin when I'm driving down the road and that keeps the engine cool and the AC will work as long as I am moving. I don't want to bring it to the mechanic without because I cannot pay costly exploration hourly fees.

The cooling fans have three relays for the two fans and different fuses which are all controlled by the engine ECM. You will need to make sure all the fuses are not blown and that the relays are good or have been replaced. The computer will turn on the fans at different times depending on if it is for temperature or when the A/C is on.

The wiring diagram is too complicated to try and explain and a mechanic can follow it to diagnose the problem for you. You may have a bad fuse or relay or even a defective ECM. I would still recommend having a mechanic test and diagnose the fans and AC system before you overheat the engine and damage it. The alternative would be spending money attempting to repair the wrong component. This would cost a lot more than an hour or two diagnostic time.