Q: Q: Question

You think Scion are as reliable as Toyota?? Also in my 2010 Honda Odyssey do I have to change the transmission filter?? If yes how many miles? Also my Odyssey starts late than other odyssey. I mean it's not bad or anything it's just that it start a second late then other odyssey. What should I do? And also do you think I should service my brake caliper? The brake pads are good but I saw a video where we should apply silicone paste to the guiding pin. You think I should do that? Thanks

Scion models, as a Toyota "brand", were discontinued in August, 2016. All 2017 Scion models that carried forward were marketed under the Toyota brand. To discuss the historical reliability data of discontinued Scion models versus "Toyota" in general, or versus a specific Toyota model, I would need to know exact year and model designation to retrieve and evaluate the appropriate data. Toyota reliability generally is the best, or among the best, but there are lots of meaningful individual model differences and there are lots of recalls and known, individual model issues and defects. If you are interested in a particular model, it is always recommended to carefully study the principal data sources on vehicle reliability, among which are "Consumer Reports" and the vast NHTSA database. NHTSA in particular has a goldmine of vehicle reliability data if you are trying to figure out the highs and lows of a particular year, make and model.

The transmission filter and fluid should be serviced on the Odyssey when Maintenance Minder Symbol 3 appears in the dash information display. However, if you are not relying on, or following, the automated maintenance minder system, simply change the transmission fluid and filter every 60,000 miles. If the engine is not starting as readily as it used to, there is something wrong. There are many causes of hard starting but illustrative ones are a faulty engine coolant temperature switch (sensor), worn spark plugs, inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (e.g., clogged fuel filter), dirty fuel injectors, contaminated or old gasoline, malfunctioning idle air control valve, poor engine compression, and so forth. You can identify the specific cause of the hard starting by requesting a hard starting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get that resolved for you.

Finally, with regard to the brakes, normally the sliding pins on the caliper torque plate are cleaned, inspected, and lubricated when the brake pads are replaced. Other moving parts are inspected as well at that time. If you suspect that this required work was not performed when the pads were last replaced, it could be performed now. However, inasmuch as your car is relatively new, if the brakes are presently working well, they are not sticking, and there is no sign of overheating, in all probability you can defer this maintenance until the next time the pads are replaced. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.