Q: Put gas in car instead of diesel

asked by on February 12, 2016

I accidentally put regular gas in my vehicle instead of diesel and then drove down the street.

Hello. It is important that you do not drive this vehicle anymore until you can get it repaired. Your fuel system will need to be flushed, the fuel pump will need to be replaced, and it is possible that the gas tank will need to be replaced as well. Using diesel fuel in diesel engines is very important for several reasons. Diesel fuel is a denser fuel than the unleaded fuel that is used for non-diesel vehicles. The glow plugs require dense fuel (diesel fuel) in order to work properly. When the wrong fuel (regular/unleaded fuel) is put into the diesel fuel system, it will not operate properly. In this case it will be necessary to replace the entire fuel system.