Q: Purchasing a used car that has been sitting for 7 years - worth considering?

Hi, I'm currently in the market for a used car (something reliable, daily commute etc). I came across a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with 43k miles with an asking price of $6900 from a used dealer. The CarFax looks decent (1 owner, no accidents). It was well maintained until 2009 but then looks like it was sitting for from Jan 2009 to June 2016. Leaving a gap in the report. In June, it passed safety inspections but failed the emissions inspection. July, it was serviced then a week later failed the emissions again. Then end of July - it passed the emission check. Is it worth considering this vehicle?

If the car sat with gasoline in the tank for 7 years, you probably will have to clean the fuel system, notably the fuel injectors and change the fuel filter. The other principle issue is corrosion. Parts such as the brake calipers may be sticky, due to rust. Those are really the two big concerns: what oxidized fuel has done to the fuel system and the extent and location of corrosion. The other parts of the car, particularly rubber parts, will have aged but at about the same rate as if he car was in use. The condition of the vehicle (hybrid) battery will be a concern, too, as replacing that battery is costly. YourMechanic could evaluate the condition of the car for you with a pre-purchase inspection.

• Purchasing a used car that has been sitting for 7 years - worth considering?