Q: Our Honda power steering light comes on but not always and can't be diagnosed by Honda technician. What should I try next?

asked by on October 17, 2016

Our Honda CRV power steering light comes on periodically but the Honda technician can't find a diagnosis? What then?

From what I gather is that you brought it to the dealer and the mechanic cannot verify the light coming on. If this is the case then this is why the mechanic cannot diagnose the problem. The mechanic cannot diagnose a problem unless they can verify the complaint.

The reason for this is if a repair is attempted and the light came on the next day again or a major failure happened then the mechanic would be liable or be stuck fixing the car for nothing. I recommend having an agreement with the dealer that you will bring it by the next time the light is on.

The key is to have the mechanic see the light on to verify the problem. When you drive into the dealer with the light on do not turn off the car or the light may not come on again. It’s crucial to not shut off the car until the mechanic verifies the problem first. Also, do not let the service adviser turn off the car until the mechanic verifies the light is on.

If you don’t want to go the dealer route, consider getting help from one of our mobile technicians who can come to your home or office to diagnose the warning light.