My son was driving and the jeep overheated, power steering went out and his battery power went low. Could this be the serpentine belt or a fan problem? Can we drive it to a shop or should we tow it in?
My car has 17000 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.
Hi There, What you have described sounds like your serpentine belt may have come off. As you may know all of the accessories (ie alternator which charges the battery, power steering and the water pump) are driven by the serpentine belt as the motor turns. When this belt is loose or comes off, you will loose power to all of these accessories. I would not recommend driving the car any further as this may cause further and much more serious damage, especially since it is already overheating. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your Jeep.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing