Q: Q: Gas tank is leaking

about 6 months ago I noticed my cars gas tank was building up pressure. One day the pressure finally built up too much and the gas tank started leaking gas. I took it to a local mechanic and they patched the hole and said the valve that releases the pressure in my tank had been stuck so they lubricated it. Well 6 months goes by and this morning I smelled gas and looked under my car and it was leaking gas again! it was a slow drip. I took the car back to the same repair shop as before and they say that the charcoal canister needs to be replaced because it is not releasing pressure which caused the my gas tank to leak again, in the same spot where the guy patched it before. I am skeptical that the charcoal canister is the real issue here. These people should have fixed it before but now I am having to deal with the same problem again. Please give me some advice. thank you.

The tank is made of very sturdy stamped steel. It will withstand any conceivable vapor pressure that gasoline will create in a motor vehicle. If the tank is leaking, it leaks because it’s rusted out. It’s usually a waste of time to fiddle with gas tank repairs because if the tank is already rusty, while you repair one spot, another hole opens up months later. If the gas tank is leaking, it should be replaced with a new gas tank and the steel tubing should be replaced as well because it is probably nearly rusted through. At the same time, all the components of the EVAP system, including the gas cap, should be tested to be sure everything is functioning correctly. If you desire an inspection of the fuel leak, and replacement of the tank as needed, by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a fuel leak inspection and diagnostic - tubing and tank and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you once and for all. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Q: Gas tank is leaking