Q: My car is shaking and jerking.

asked by on December 04, 2017

My car is jerking and shaking. It started around a week and a half ago. When I drive my Mazda 6 08 it seems like it struggles to change from 5 to 6 gear and when it reaches around 40 miles per hour it starts to jerk and shake. It also jerks and shakes when i'm at a stop light. Yesterday when I was driving to work my car started to shake worser this time. I put my foot on the brake and it went away and then I accelarated again and then it started to badly shake again. A couple of minutes later my engine light came on. A couple of minutes later it went away and when I sped up it came back on. After I got out of work and drove home it didn't come back on. Can someone help me please figure the problem out with my car?

Based upon the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like you may have a faulty camshaft position sensor. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed to the car’s electronic control module. This information is used by the computer to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle. As the sensor begins to fail and gets worse over time as the signal it provides to the computer weakens. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your camshaft position sensor.