Q: Problem with filling tank. Code says bad evap canister/valve and/or gas cap

I can't fill the tank. When I'm at the pump it wont let me pump more than a few squirts at a time, sometimes. Mechanic did smoke test and some diagnostics and found there's no leak, but that it's likely the charcoal canister/valve and maybe need a new gas cap. I can't ever get these guys to contact me back, so I'm asking here. I'm not sure if I need a new canister, or just the valve and lines, or both.

A: Hi there. More often than not, the issues f...

Hi there. More often than not, the issues filling up the fuel tank is attributed to a bad EVAP vent solenoid. It is the job of the EVAP vent solenoid to allow air into the charcoal canister so that the EVAP system can pressurize and function properly. When the solenoid is opened, air is allowed into the EVAP system to relieve any pressure that may be present as a result of purging the EVAP system. However, it could be other parts of the EVAP system, so you should have a professional mechanic inspect your vehicle first to know for sure what’s causing your fuel tank issues.