Q: Pressure monitoring system comes on eventhough air pressure in tires is normal

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System Light, warning about my tire pressure, has been continually lighting up. The dealership said they fixed it, but the light still comes on. What will solve this problem?

A: There are many potential causes for this. I...

There are many potential causes for this. If the light stays on continuously, the tire pressure may not be set correctly or the system may need to be reset.

Changes in ambient temperature can also affect TPMS operation, since tire pressure drops in cold weather.

If both the low tire pressure and TPMS indicators are illuminated, then the Engine Control Module (ECM), or Electrical Control Unit (ECU), has detected a problem with the system. In this case, the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) should be retrieved to start the diagnostic process.

Anything from a failed sensor to a problem with the control module could cause both lights to be illuminated. I suggest you get a second opinion from someone other than the dealership. YourMechanic is an excellent option to get your trouble codes diagnosed, since we make house calls.