Q: Engine, brake, cruise, traction control lights all came on at the same time and the dealership stated it is a fault of the coils

I have a 2010 Outback H6, the dealer replaced coils #1 & #2 a month ago and the same lights came on again now. They now say that another coil needs to be replaced. They are now recommending that I replace the rest of them (4 total), is this necessary or make sense? What is the cost for you to do it?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically when you replace coils, although it may not be the most comfortable option cost wise, you want to replace all of them. While there is no rule against replacing one or two of them. Typically when one is experiencing wear related issues, the rest are close to failing as well. This also helps you keep track of what was replaced when, and helps the wear on the rest of the engine stay equal on all cylinders. Without having the car and codes available to diagnosis, it is difficult to say that this is definitely the issue at hand. From the symptoms you describe, replacing the rest of the coils does sound like it will solve your problem. For a second opinion and inspection, or for further diagnostics, contact our service department to schedule an appointment. You will also find our "Quote" section there.

3. Engine, brake, cruise, traction control lights all came on at the same time and the dealership stated it is a fault of the coils