Q: Powertrain malfunction indicator light is on

While driving my ford explorer 2008, 55 m/h for about one hour the car did not stop but lost power to continue for a minute, and the powertrain malfunction indicator illuminated, I kept driving for 4 miles to find a save place to park, before stopping the illuminated symbol disappear. Few hours later I wanted to check the car and started driving, the powertrain malfunction indicator and the service engine soon indicator light illuminated, I stopped driving and park the car. Please, I would like to know how much will cost to fix my car, can I have and estimate? Thank for your help. Nora

Hi there. From the description you have provided, driving your vehicle for about an hour, lost power, powertrain malfunction indicator illuminated, later the powertrain malfunction indicator and service engine soon light illuminated, is difficult to estimate the cost of repair. Diagnoses needs to be performed to isolate the failure first.

It could be a faulty APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor. It could be a faulty throttle position sensor at the throttle body, which in most cases requires throttle body replacement when electronically controlled. It could be low fuel pressure caused by a faulty fuel pump. There are many other possibilities as well. I recommend having your vehicle’s powertrain malfunction and service engine soon light illuminated be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Powertrain malfunction indicator light is on