Q: Power steering system

I'm having an issue when I turn my steering wheel sharp left or right and I get a high pitched whining from the wheel

This may be related to a failing power steering pump or low power steering fluid levels. As you may know, the power steering system uses a pump, normally driven by a belt. The pump supplies pressure as it is turned by your engine, and driver control is supplied by either the rack and pinion or a steering gear box. Fluid pressure from the pump is used to push against a piston. When the wheel is turned, pressure flows to one side and this piston moves. The piston is attached to the steering gears. As the hydraulic pressure does the work, the driver controls the direction by turning the steering wheel. When the pump is low on fluid, it may produce this kind of high pitched whining sound you describe. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your power steering system.

3. Power steering system