Q: Fuel Pump Malfunction

Each time I am driving, A Fuel Pump Malfunction alert keeps popping out on the dash board and the car shuts down. I have to park for 20-30 mins before I am able to start the car to get home. Just happened to me on my way home and this has been the 4th time its happening and I'm really worried about the car and could use your assistance in getting this fixed.

In October 2016, BMW announced a recall covering fuel pumps for certain models produced during model years 2007-2012. Your vehicle appears to be outside the scope of this recall but nevertheless it would be a good due diligence to contact BMW to see if any fuel pump control system software updates, or patches, are relevant in your case. Such was an issue with some of the vehicles recalled for model years 2007-2012. If your failure though is more mundane, that is, is simply age or wear related, YourMechanic can diagnose it via either direct measurement (e.g., pump pressure, output) or via a scan tool. Hopefully, a diagnostic trouble code has been set relative to this failure and that will focus the diagnostic but basically either the pump is failing OR there is a fault in the control circuit such as a relay dropping out. On a mobile basis, YourMechanic can perform a fuel pump system diagnostic and then apprise you of the required repairs and the cost.

3. Fuel Pump Malfunction