Q: I've had the fuel pump replaced, distributor cap & rotor, ignition control module & crank sensor. Truck still won't start. The

asked by on December 14, 2016

Hello! I've replaced the distributor cap and rotor, ignition control module, crank sensor & fuel pump. My truck still won't start. The mechanic who did the work seems to think it's the PCM/ Computer. I've spoken with other mechanics & they've said the problem could lie else where. I just need some answers. This is getting really expensive. I've already spent over $400 & haven't solved the problem. What do you think? Thanks

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi there. Has the battery been tested? Have the battery tested with a digital tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health. A bad cell in the battery can wreak havoc on the electrical system and have technicians chasing ghosts. If the battery tests ok, that is a good thing as it does not need to be replaced. There is a basic acronym I use for no start conditions: FAST (Fuel, Air, Spark, Timing). These are the basic things that every engine has to have to run. After checking these the diagnosis can move forward. A capable scan tool may provide data that can assist in the diagnosis as well. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing any more unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not start inspection.