Q: Steering doesn’t work very well, bad on the highway

When I was driving my 2008 Chevy Malibu the other day, I noticed that the steering kind of shimmies when the car is up to speed. Since the car barely has 20,000 miles on, I figured a tire might need air or something. I couldn’t find anything wrong then, but now the car really pulls to the right. I'm starting to think something is very wrong here! What could it be?

Before giving any diagnosis, I would first suggest that you have you car checked out as soon as possible since this could be a safety concern. If you feel it is unsafe to drive, YourMechanic can come to your home or office and inspect the problem for you. There may be an issue with the steering, tires, or suspension on your car. There is a recall 14E044000 dated 7/22/2014, for possible steering u-joint failure, with replacement of steering shaft as the recommended fix. Another recall, 14V153000 dated 3/31/2014, calls for one of four different electric steering components to be replaced, as determined by recall information and needed repairs. You should also have your tires checked for any damage, bubbles, separation, or defects which could cause problems. Tire life is determined by the manufacturer, and the life of most tires is 6 years. So, if your tires are over 6 years old, I recommend getting them replaced, even if they are not worn from driving.