Q: Power steering quit and RPMs to Zero

While my teen daughter was driving, the power steering quit and the RPMs went down to 0. What is the first step I take to find out what has caused this?

Hello. There are several possible issues that might be causing the problem you are experiencing. The most common possibility is that the power steering belt may have broken. The power steering belt pulleys may have seized up as well. This will prevent the belt from moving which may cause the loss of power steering and RPMs. It is also possible that the timing belt has broken, causing the entire engine to shut down. When/if this happens, the power steering would be first to stop working. It would be a good idea to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect your vehicle’s steering system in order to pinpoint the problem.

3. Power steering quit and RPMs to Zero