Q: Possible transmission problem

Driving on highway for 45min then rpms go to 7000 and will not accelerate, . Stop for a while and was able to limp home. This happened a few times now. Transmission fluid is NOT low but very black in color. Seems to only happen while on express/highway travel, car ok on local roads after extended drive times. Made appointment with transmission repairman, just trying to get second opinion.

Hello. The black transmission fluid is a big issue. The fluid is burning due to excessive heat being generated. You will need to change the filter and the fluid. Keep in mind this is completely different then having the entire transmission flushed. When the transmission has heated up to the point the transmission fluid has burned, the gears that are glued together change molecularly. Then with a flush, the heavy detergents then eat away that new bond and tear it apart. The transmission will potentially be useless at that point. Changing just the fluid in the pan and the filter typically does not effect it as extremely. New coolant will also help keep the transmission running cooler. With the damage that has already been done to the transmission, it may only be a limited time that you can keep it going. Have the filter and fluid changed, and keep an eye on it.

3. Possible transmission problem