Q: Popping out the exhaust and backfiring out the carb

I had a new oil pump, new ignition control module, and new distributor put in about 3 months ago, then one morning I start the car up and begin going to school and it spits, sputters and pops out of the exhaust, I put new plugs and that didn't help it, so I had a friend come out and he drizzled a whole quart of transmission fluid down the carb while I gas it some gas, it smoothed out alittle but still is popping out the exhaust and does not want to go full throttle when I lay in to it. I rerouted the vacuum advance line to a spot what was pulling a harder vacuum and still pops out the exhaust. What could my problem or problems be?

A: Adding additional vacuum to the car when it...

Adding additional vacuum to the car when it is already backfiring will usually compound the problem due to the lack of fuel supply. Backfiring is most often a result of a lean condition. Adding transmission fluid to the fuel mixture by putting it into the carb will also compound the problem of not running well as transmission fluid does not have nearly the same flash point as gas. To have the sputtering issue diagnosed, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to inspect and repair this.